9.26.2011

New Music

Saturday we had our first orchestra concert of the season, which went pretty well, except for my walking on stage when I wasn't supposed to.  The orchestra played five pieces, but I was only in the first and last, and I apparently need to get more sleep, because I walked up there after intermission with the rest of the section. Thankfully the basses were still coming on stage so I slipped back off behind them. The viola section will be laughing about that for a long time.

Before we even played the concert they gave us the music for the next. That was slightly depressing. We barely got "the satisfaction and pride of a job well done" before we were given our next assignment! On the other hand, that is the most efficient way to handle it. No wasting rehearsal time handing out parts.

Yesterday I listened to a recording of one of the pieces, Glinka's Ruslan and Ludmilla. I recognized it immediately, and my heart sank. I had noticed when I got the sheet music that it starts out presto, but I didn't remember it was THAT degree of presto. Sigh. (Presto is the second fastest tempo marking, 168-200bpm, outrun only by prestissimo, more than 200bpm). I'll have to give my fingers caffeine injections.

My parents and sister came to the concert, but were surprised at how different the music was. This is interesting, because it didn't seem that unusual to me. If you have the time, could you please listen to these pieces and tell me how they sound to you? Are they hard to listen to? Do they sound like they have no center or base, or both? I've become used to listening to this kind of music, so I'm not sure how they sound to the casual observer anymore, and I would like to hear what you think.

Here are the pieces, composer then title:
Castellanos: Santa Cruz de Pacairigua
John Adams: The Chairman Dances (Foxtrot for Orchestra)

Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I admit I only listened to about a third of each of them, however I don't think they are that different. They do sound kind of chaotic, though. Especially the one by Castellanos. But it reminds me of Peter and the Wolf, for some reason, so once again not that "different." In my humble opinion :).

    Good luck with the new music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't worry, I didn't expect you to listen to it all. Peter and the Wolf is a very astute connection, actually. They are both from the same time period and have similar ideas.

    ReplyDelete